The inspiration behind the establishment of Loughborough Amherst School (formerly Our Lady’s Convent School) in Loughborough was Antonio Rosmini, Italian nobleman, priest, philosopher and patriot.
In 1841 Lady Mary Arundell opened a small school for girls in Paget House, Woodgate, Loughborough and eventually persuaded Rosmini to send religious sisters from Italy to set up a Convent. In 1843 Rosmini sent Sister Mary Francesca Parea and Sister Mary Anastasia Somonini to Paget House and in 1844 they took over the School.
Today our 10 acre site has the beautiful Convent building and Chapel at its core, designed by Charles Hanson who was influenced by Augustus Pugin. Our Lady’s Convent School opened on this site in 1850 mainly through the generosity of Lady Arundell and a dowry from Mary Amherst.
Mary Amherst joined the order of the Sisters of Providence when she was only 22 and went on to oversee the establishment of a boarding school for girls.
The School celebrated its 150th birthday on the current site in 2000.
Loughborough Amherst School has developed and changed from its earliest beginnings as a day school for the Catholic girls of Loughborough to a multi-faith School now taking boys from Reception through the Primary department (ages 4 to 11).
From September 2019, the School will be welcoming boys into the Senior School, thereby extending our excellent educational offering to boys and girls from the age of 4 to 18 years. In anticipation of this change, the School name will, from September 2018, change to Loughborough Amherst School. This name is in honour of Mary Amherst.